What is health insurance?
Private medical insurance (PMI) gives you quick access to private facilities and treatments. It helps pay for any high, unexpected private medical bills you may need covered. This could be anything from physiotherapy sessions, to major heart surgery. PMI also plays an important role in funding the early diagnosis of critical conditions.
Why choose Vitality health insurance?
VitalityHealth makes it easy to get fast access to high quality care, with rewards for getting active.
Award-winning health insurance
What does health insurance cover?
It doesn’t usually cover treatment of long-term (chronic) conditions, where the main aim is to keep the symptoms under control. Private medical insurance also won’t cover any pre-existing conditions that you may have when taking out a plan.
How does private medical insurance work?
For the majority of claims, medical treatment begins with a GP referral for specialist treatment. This can either be your NHS GP or a private GP. Any onward treatment is managed by working closely with your private medical insurer, to ensure that you have quick and easy access to the right medical treatment.
How is private medical insurance different from the NHS?
Private medical insurance is designed to work alongside all the services offered by the NHS, but focuses on providing quicker access to treatment for acute medical conditions. PMI members can still use all services offered by the NHS. But with pressures on the NHS to meet healthcare demands growing rapidly, compounded by increasingly stretched resources, PMI can play a complementary role.
Core Cover includes
In-patient and day-patient treatment
Full Cover for hospital fees, consultants fees and diagnostic tests as well as out-patient surgical procedures..
Advanced Cancer Cover
Everyone gets comprehensive Cancer Cover as part of Core Cover, which includes no limits on the use of biological, hormone and bisphosphonate therapies.
Offers 24/7 access to a medical helpline, video consultations within 48 hours, and up to £100 towards private prescriptions and minor diagnostic tests.
Our team of medical professionals and trained case managers are ready to offer help and advice, whenever you need them.
- Home Nursing
- NHS Hospital Cash Benefit
- Private Ambulance
- Pregnancy Complications
- Oral Surgery
- Childbirth Cash Benefit
- Parent Accommodation
- Weight Loss Surgery
- Corrective Surgeries
- Talking Therapies
Why choose VitalityHealth?
What is an insurance premium?
What is an excess in health insurance?
Can I get private health insurance with a pre-existing condition?
What isn’t covered with private health insurance?
There are some standard treatments and conditions that we don't cover. These are:
• Any regular monitoring or treatment of long- term (chronic) conditions, like diabetes or allergies
• Any treatment you receive outside the UK
• Emergency treatment or visits to your NHS GP
• Pregnancy, childbirth and most related conditions
• Cosmetic treatment
• Organ transplants
• Any treatments or practices that are experimental, unproven or unregistered
• Any treatment for learning difficulties, delayed speech disorders and other developmental problems
For full details on what’s covered in your plan, check your welcome pack or our terms and conditions.
What should I look out for when buying private health insurance?
• Fast Diagnostic Tests - With waiting times being a major cause of anxiety in many health events, Private Medical Insurance offers the reassurance of a quick and full diagnosis. However, you’ll need to make sure the plan you choose includes Out-patient Cover.
• Choice Of Hospital - PMI offers easy access to hundreds of private hospitals in the UK, as well as the freedom for you to choose where and when you’re treated.
• Drugs & Treatment - PMI provides access to a wider range of drugs and treatment, including those which might not yet be approved for use or paid for by the NHS.
• Choice Of Consultant - PMI gives you the freedom to choose a consultant for a specific claim.
• Privacy - Private healthcare offers you the comfort and privacy of your own room in a nationwide network of private hospitals,with no worries about shared wards.
Do I need a medical examination before I take out health insurance?
If you do have a pre-existing condition, we may need to ask you more questions about your health, or contact your GP. We’ll always tell you if that’s the case.
Call us and we’ll let you know if we need any more information before giving you a quote.
The doctor in your phone
Connect and save
Track your activity and earn rewards
Choose an eligible activity tracking device or app and link it to Vitality to earn Vitality points for getting active. To give you a helping hand, we also offer discounts on Polar, Garmin and Withings devices.
Award-winning health insurance from £1.15 per day.
Or ask for a call back and we’ll get in touch at a time to suit you.
Lines are open:
Monday to Thursday 9am-6pm, Friday 9am-5pm, Saturday 10am-2pm
Sunday and bank holidays: Closed