Step-by-step guide to referrals for alternative therapies
Looking after your health and wellbeing
A Vitality GP has referred you for alternative therapies. Alternative therapies include:
- chiropractic treatment;
- and up to two consultations with a dietitian.
This page explains what happens next and some things you need to remember. You can also find out what to do if you change your mind about seeing a practitioner.
What happens next?
- The Vitality GP will pass details of your referral to us and we’ll get in touch within two working days to discuss the next steps. Please don’t go ahead with any treatment until we have contacted you and confirmed it will be covered by your plan.
- If your claim is approved, we’ll give you a choice of eligible providers near your chosen location and confirm the details.
- If you have a specific practitioner or clinic in mind, let us know and we’ll be able to confirm if they are registered with us.
Important things to remember
- Visit the Member Zone and check that you have Therapies Cover included on your plan. A referral for alternative therapies will count as a claim and affect your Therapies Cover limit.
- You should also check your membership certificate to see if you have an excess on your plan. You can find this with your plan documents in the ‘Notifications’ section of the Member Zone.
- Sometimes, we may need some more information or to ask your NHS GP to complete a claim form. If this is the case, we’ll contact you as soon as possible and once we’ve received the claim form, we’ll let you know our decision.
What if I change my mind?
If you change your mind about making a claim for alternative therapies, please let us know when we call to confirm details of your referral.
If you’d like to continue with your claim again in the future, you’ll need to speak to a Vitality GP or ask your NHS GP for a referral.