Step-by-step guide to consultant referrals
The right expert, chosen by the experts
If a Vitality GP has referred you to our Consultant Panel, this page explains what happens next and some things you need to remember. You can also find out more about Alliance Health Group who manage the Consultant Panel and what to do if you change your mind about seeing a consultant.
What happens next?
- The Vitality GP will pass your details to Alliance Health Group who will contact you within four hours or at the time you requested.
- Alliance Health Group will recommend the consultant most suited to your specific needs, symptoms and medical history. They’ll also discuss appointment times and confirm any other important information with you.
- Alliance Health Group will ask for your debit or credit card details and take a payment of £1, which will be refunded. Your card details will be held securely by Alliance Health Group to cover any uninsured costs. You'll be advised before any additional payment is taken.
- Alliance Health Group will help and support you with your claim while you’re under the care of their recommended consultant, so you can focus on getting better. If we need to discuss your claim or any aspect of your cover, we’ll contact you.
Important things to remember
- Visit the Member Zone and check that you have Out-patient Cover included on your plan. A referral to a consultant will affect your Out-patient benefit limit.
- Check your membership certificate to see if you have an excess on your plan. You can find this with your plan documents in the ‘My messages’ section of the Member Zone.
- A referral to a consultant will count as a claim and will affect your Out-patient Cover benefit limit. It may also affect your renewal premium. You can find out more information by viewing your plan documents in the 'My messages' section of the Member Zone.
What if I change my mind?
If you’re on a Consultant Select plan, you’ll need to see a consultant through the Consultant Panel.
If you have a hospital list on your plan and decide not to see a consultant through the Panel, let the adviser know when they call. If you want to continue your claim and see another consultant, you’ll need to ask your NHS GP for a referral. Then you’ll need to contact us to check your chosen consultant is recognised by Vitality and to get your claim approved.If further treatment is needed following your consultation, please contact us to get it approved.
Who are the Consultant Panel?
Our Panel are formed by Alliance Health Group, the biggest national group of UK consultants in private practice, all reviewed and audited by their peers. They also undergo customer satisfaction assessments, so you can be sure of getting the highest standards of care.
Alliance Health Group will recommend a consultant based on your specific needs, symptoms and medical history. If your consultant says you need further treatment, our panel fully manage your claim – there’s no need to contact us for authorisation.