Hands-on abdominal examination required by your own GP
Following your Vitality GP video consultation, the Vitality GP has recommended you see your own GP for a hands-on examination to check for gastrointestinal symptoms in the abdomen.
Reasons why the Vitality GP has recommended this course of action
A hands-on examination can provide more information, which may explain the possible reasons for your symptoms. The examination may include:
- Locating the site of pain and assessing severity
- Checking for any masses or lumps
- Checking for the enlargement of any abdominal organs, for example the liver
- Listening to the bowel using a stethoscope
The benefits of a hands-on examination
The GP will be in a better position to decide on the best treatment and if further diagnostic investigations are needed, such as an ultrasound scan or blood tests.
Tips for getting the most out of your GP appointment
- Share your consultation notes from your Vitality GP video consultation. You’ll find these under the ‘Video GP Consultation history’ button in your Vitality GP app
- You can either show your GP these notes, or if possible you can email them to your GP before your appointment using the ‘Email Summary’ button in the app