Step-by-step guide to referrals for minor diagnostic tests at a hospital
This page explains what happens next if a Vitality GP has referred you to one of our hospital partners for minor diagnostic tests, for example an x-ray or ultrasound scan. This page also includes some things you need to remember and what to do if you change your mind about the referral.
What happens next?
- The Vitality GP will send your details to the Vitality GP Admin team who will contact you within four hours or at the time you requested. They’ll discuss which of our hospital partners you’ll be referred to and you’ll be able to choose the most convenient location.
- Following this we will send your details to our hospital partner who will then contact you to arrange an appointment. When you attend the appointment you’ll need to pay for the tests upfront and send us the invoice. You can find out how to do this below.
- The hospital will send your results back securely to the Vitality GP service and these will be uploaded to your original video GP consultation.
- You will then be notified to book a follow-up video GP consultation to discuss your results and next steps.
Important things to remember
The Vitality GP benefit includes a combined limit of up to £100 for minor diagnostics and private prescriptions per member per plan year when referred or prescribed by a Vitality GP.
Using this allowance will not count as a claim and will not affect your renewal premium.
You claim the cost back from your £100 limit providing you have remaining allowance.
If the tests you need are over £100 or you’ve used the £100 limit, you have the option to make up the difference, self-pay or go back to your NHS GP.
How to claim for minor diagnostics
Attend the appointment and pay for the minor diagnostics yourself. Make sure you get an invoice or receipt that clearly states:
- Your full name, date of birth and postal address.
- The name and contact details of the healthcare provider.
- The dates and details of each procedure, including procedure codes where possible.
- The charge for each treatment.
Then, email a copy of your invoice and receipt, along with your plan number, to email@example.com, clearly stating that you’d like to claim from your Vitality GP benefit. If your claim is approved we’ll reimburse you from your available balance within 10 working days. We’ll send a message to your secure inbox on the Member Zone to let you know when your claim has been paid.
If you change your mind
If you change your mind about having minor diagnostic tests through Vitality GP, please let the hospital know when they call.
You may wish to contact your NHS GP instead, however we won’t cover any minor diagnostic tests that your NHS GP or a private GP refers you for.