Step-by-step guide to physiotherapy referrals
Receive fast, expert care
If a Vitality GP has referred you to our Priority Physiotherapy Network, this page explains what happens next and some things you need to remember. You can also find out more about our Network and what to do if you change your mind.
What happens next?
- The Vitality GP will pass your details to our Priority Physiotherapy Network and an adviser will contact you within two hours or at the time you requested. We recommend setting aside up to 30 minutes for this telephone assessment and making sure that you’re in a quiet space where you’re able to discuss your symptoms and/or condition.
- The adviser will recommend the most appropriate treatment plan for your specific needs. This could be one or more of the following:
- Virtual rehabilitation - suitable for minor injuries and to help you manage your recovery in your own time, as quickly and conveniently as possible.
- Face-to-face treatment - if you’re referred for a face-to-face assessment or treatment sessions, your physiotherapist will assess your symptoms and recommend a treatment plan.
- Follow-up treatment sessions - this is where your progress is monitored until you’re discharged.
- If you’re referred for face-to-face treatment you’ll be able to choose the location that’s most convenient for you. If you have a specific physiotherapist or clinic in mind, let the adviser know and they’ll be able to confirm if the physiotherapist or clinic are part of our network.
- Our Priority Physiotherapy Network will fully manage your claim and will get treatment authorised on your behalf so you can focus on recovery. If we need to discuss your claim or any aspect of your cover, we’ll contact you.
Important things to remember
- Visit the Member Zone and check that you have Out-patient Cover included on your plan.
- Providing you use a physiotherapist from our network your treatment costs will not be deducted from your Out-patient Cover limit.
- Providing you use a physiotherapist from our network we’ll pay the physiotherapist directly, although you will need to pay any excess that applies to your plan. To see if you have an excess on your plan check your membership certificate. You can find this with your plan documents in the ‘Notifications’ section of the Member Zone.
- Sometimes, we may need some more information or to ask your NHS GP to complete a claim form. If this is the case, we’ll contact you as soon as possible and once we’ve received the claim form, we’ll usually let you know our decision within two working days.
- A referral to a physiotherapist will count as a claim. Please check your membership certificate to see if you have an excess on your plan in the 'Notifications' section of the Member Zone.
If your referral is for a child covered on your plan
- If the patient is 11 years old or under, our partners will usually recommend a face-to-face triage assessment rather than a telephone assessment. The Vitality GP will make them aware of this when they make the referral.
- If the patient is 12 years old or over but under 16, an adult will need to be present throughout the telephone assessment.
- If the patient is 16 years old or over, they will need to be present during the telephone assessment as an adviser will need to speak to them directly.
If you change your mind
If you change your mind about using our Priority Physiotherapy Network, please let the adviser know when they call.
If you would prefer to see a physiotherapist outside the network
- You’ll need to ask your NHS GP for a referral.
- Then you’ll need to contact us to check your chosen physiotherapist is recognised by us and to get your claim approved.
- You’ll need to pay any invoices directly and send them to us; we’ll reimburse you for up to £35 per session and the costs will be deducted from your Out-patient Cover limit if applicable.
- If you require further sessions after your initial authorised number, you will need to obtain a detailed medical report from your treating physiotherapist for us to assess if further sessions are eligible under your plan; without this we may not fund any further sessions.
Who are the Priority Physiotherapy Network?
With the VitalityHealth Priority Physiotherapy Network, you receive expert care quickly with access to over 2,000 accredited physiotherapists conveniently located in clinics across the UK.
Our physiotherapists take a holistic approach to guide you back to health, by assessing your individual situation, and providing personalised treatment which is right for you. This may include exercises to help relieve daily pain and discomfort, and advice on how to avoid injuries recurring.
Get the most from your face-to-face appointment with our quick tips
Take along details of any medication you are currently taking, copies of any investigation reports and your treatment reference number.
Arrive 10 minutes before your appointment time.
Wear loose-fitting clothing.
Take along your diary to make any further appointments.
If you need to cancel your appointment you need to give the clinic 24 hours’ notice or your session will be lost.
Your referral will be closed if you don’t attend a session or need to reschedule a session more than twice.