What you need to know
- Men need around 2,500 calories a day and women need around 2,000 calories a day
- Eat at least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables every day, home-made soups, juices or smoothies are a quick and easy way to get some of your 5 a day
- Don’t skip breakfast! You’re more likely to snack and eat more later in the day
- Include whole-grain foods like brown rice, rye bread and whole-grain cereal with each meal as they’ll keep you fuller for longer
- Choose skinless chicken, oily fish and beans which are lower in saturated fat and cholesterol than red meat.
We've got some great healthy food recipes that could help you maintain a healthy balanced diet.