Connecting Google Fit and Vitality
Connect Google Fit to Vitality to track your steps and earn Vitality activity points
Before you begin
Have you registered on the Vitality Member Zone?
- If not, you can register here and then come back to this guide
- You’ll then have your Member Zone username and password ready to connect Vitality with Google Fit.
How to connect Google Fit and Vitality
Connect the Vitality Member app to Google Fit
- Open the Vitality Member app, tap 'Get Healthier' on the home screen and then select 'Google Fit'
- Tap 'Connect to Health'
- Tap 'Start Syncing'
- Follow the steps to select (or add) your Google account and 'allow' permissions
Allow Google Fit to read your activity data
- Open Google Fit
- Tap 'Settings' and scroll down to 'Google Fit data'
- Turn on 'Activity detection'
Check that Google Fit is now connected to the Vitality Member app
- Close Google Fit
- Open the Vitality Member app and go back to the Get Healthier page
- Your Google Fit icon should now have a pink tick next to it and say 'Linked'
Make sure you stay logged into the vitality Member app. If you log-out you'll need to follow the steps above to connect Google Fit to Vitality again.
Sync your Google Fit data to Vitality via the Vitality Member app
- Open the Vitality Member app, tap the ‘Refresh’ icon (or it will automatically refresh on being opened as long as you stayed logged in) to send your Google Fit data to the Vitality Member app (The app will also automatically refresh every day around midnight and sync up to 14 days of step data)
- Once the data has been received by the Vitality Member app, it will calculate the activity points due – they should normally show after 15 minutes, but can take 1-2 hours
- To view your synced Vitality activity points, simply close the Vitality Member app (without logging-out) and reopen it after 15 minutes
Just so you know, we don’t share any of your personal information with Google Fit. Vitality simply reads the activity data that is recorded within Google Fit.
Frequently asked questions
What data will Vitality receive from Google Fit?
If your phone contains an accelerometer it can track your steps. This is the data we receive from Google Fit.
To earn Vitality points for steps tracked with Google Fit, open Google Fit, go to settings, scroll down to ‘Google Fit data’ and turn on ‘Activity detection’.
We only receive activity data from Google Fit that has been recorded by Google Fit directly. We won’t award Vitality points for activity tracked by other devices or apps connected to Google Fit. If you want to record your activity with another Vitality device partner (e.g. Polar, Garmin or Nokia) you need to visit the activity tracking page on the Member Zone and connect it directly to Vitality.
How do I track steps using Google Fit and sync my Google Fit data to the Vitality app?
You can track your steps on the Google Fit home screen.
Then sync your Google Fit data via the Vitality Member app. Open the Vitality Member app, tap the ‘Refresh’ icon (or it will automatically refresh once you’ve authenticated using Touch ID) to send your Google Fit data to the Vitality Member app.
Once you’ve synced your activity data, the Vitality Member app will calculate the activity points due.
How long will it take for activity points to show on my Vitality points statement?
Points should normally show on your Vitality points statement after 15 minutes, but can take 1-2 hours.
To view your synced Vitality activity points, simply close the Vitality Member app (without logging out) and reopen it after 15 minutes. Please note: in high demand periods, it can take up to 48 hours
Where can I check my Vitality points?
On the home screen of the Vitality Member app, tap ‘My Weekly Activity’. For a detailed view, tap ‘View Plan Points Statement’.
You can also view your Vitality activity points online in Member Zone. Once logged in, navigate to ‘My Vitality’ and then ‘My Vitality Points Statement’.
What should I do if my points aren't showing?
Open the Vitality Member app and make sure that Google Fit is still showing as ‘Linked’ on the ‘Get Healthier’ screen.
You need to stay logged into the Vitality Member app. If you log-out you’ll need to follow the steps above to connect Google Fit to Vitality again.