Based on new research amongst homeworkers of their experiences during the third lockdown, wellbeing data from the Vitality Programme, interviews with CEOs and business leaders and extensive RSA analysis of key research relating to workplace trends, this report concludes with a 10-point Blueprint for Business. The Blueprint details key recommendations that can help set businesses on a path to addressing health and wellbeing in the workplace in a way that benefits their people, their business and ultimately, society.
Neville Koopowitz, CEO of Vitality UK
The ‘long lockdown’ challenge: Declining mental health
An ergonomic timebomb
A shift in expectations
A tailored hybrid for women and young people
The 'cost' of productivity
Download the full report
Ctrl Alt Delete podcast
Top 10 recommendations: What can businesses do to create a Healthy Hybrid?
- Close the expectation gap with new mandates on health and wellbeing that are integrated into company risk registers and prioritised at board level.
- Senior leaders must practise, reinforce, and normalise healthy hybrid behaviours.
- Create ‘healthy hybrid’ feedback loops between employees and leaders.
Driving ‘Healthy Hybrid’ behaviour change through practical interventions
- Promote inclusive productivity gains by assessing performance based on outcomes not hours.
- Mandatory breaks and a ‘right to disconnect’ policies are needed to protect hybrid workers from burnout and level up inequalities.
- New health and wellbeing policies must be inclusive across all work environments and focus on workers not workplaces.
- Organisations should schedule 30 minutes a day for all employees to protect musculoskeletal health.
Sustaining ‘Healthy Hybrid’ values requires consistent reporting and accountability:
- Effective and consistent wellbeing measurement is needed to sustain ‘healthy hybrid’ behaviours and culture.
- Organisational structures must make it clear who is accountable for new health and wellbeing mandates, and this must be reflected in management training.
- Organisations should track and publish data on hybrid workers’ pay and progression to prevent digital disadvantage
Establishing a ‘Healthy Hybrid’ culture requires driving inclusive engagement from the top-down.
Find out more on how Vitality can help boost your employees' health, and their productivity with our business health insurance.
Britain's Healthiest Workplace
Britain’s Healthiest Workplace helps businesses understand employees’ health and how it links to their productivity. Employees take part in the survey and their employer is be given an in-depth report on how to improve their health. By encouraging them to be healthier, you're also looking after your business. It’s good for you and good for society.
Join our Vitality Speaker Series to hear from the RSA’s CEO, Matthew Taylor, on what a healthy workplace looks like post-pandemic
To coincide with the launch of our Healthy Hybrid: a Blueprint for Business report in partnership with the RSA (Royal Society of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce), the RSA CEO Matthew Taylor will explore what lessons we can learn from lockdown and how to put health and wellbeing at the heart of the business agenda. He will be interviewed by Sir Craig Oliver.
From the remote revolution to ‘hybrid’ ways of working, what does a healthy hybrid workplace really look like? Find out and explore why harnessing employee wellness is a crucial business asset more so now than ever before.
Register your place