The right medical expert. Chosen by the medical experts.
Consultant Select – included in our Core Cover – gives you complete peace-of-mind, because it lets doctors decide who should treat you – instead of an insurer.
How it works
When you need a referral, we leave our expert medical partners Alliance Health Group– an independent doctor-owned organisation – to choose the best consultant for you, based entirely on your medical needs.
The panel of consultants are all independently selected and regularly audited to ensure they always offer the highest standards of care.
You can get a referral via the Vitality GP app or your NHS GP, meaning you can choose the quickest and easiest route for you.
Peace of mind
With the Vitality Patient Charter, you have the right to change consultant within The Panel, if you’re not happy. We’ll also help elevate any serious clinical concerns to The Panel.
Guaranteed high-quality care
Alliance Health Group reviews every consultant on their list, using a panel of medical peers. If they meet their rigorous quality standards, they also endorse them with the statement: ‘I would recommend this consultant to treat my family’.
Fully protected by the Vitality Patient Charter
This is our set of quality-assurance principles which say:
- The chosen consultant has been quality-assured through a consultant peer review process.
- You will have the right to switch to another Panel-approved consultant if you are not happy with the original named consultant – this will have no negative impact on your benefit limits.
- The Panel will help you find the right consultant for you quickly and conveniently. Excluding exceptional circumstances, no member will wait longer than 10 days, or travel more than 40 minutes - and much shorter in most instances - for a consultation.
- If your condition is deemed high risk, our Urgent Care Pathway will ensure that you are seen as quickly as is clinically necessary.
- We will support you in investigating and where appropriate escalating any clinical concerns to the Panel.
- The Vitality Consultant Guarantee – as with all other VitalityHealth products, you will not experience any shortfalls on fees from the treating consultant, through our Full Cover Promise.
- Out-patient benefit protection – for follow-up consultations which follow within 28 days of a procedure carried out through the Consultant Select pathway, there will be no deduction from your Out-patient Cover benefit.
- The Vitality Service Guarantee - if you are not satisfied with the service provided, you can escalate your concern to Vitality directly, either through our normal contact channels or by emailing us at email@example.com.
Frequently asked questions
Can I choose what hospital I'm treated at?
How do I claim with Consultant Select?
How quickly can I access care?
Is Consultant Select included in Core Cover?
What exceptional circumstances may impact my wait/travel time for a consultation?
The Consultant select Panel covers virtually all specialties of medicine and surgery. Occasionally, there may be instances for rural locations, or for cases which require especially complex or specialist care (typically at sub-specialty level), when a member may wait or travel slightly longer for a consultation. These locations include the far South West and North East of England, and parts of Wales, Scotland and the Lake District. Please contact VitalityHealth directly if you have any questions about coverage in your area.
If a Panel consultant is not available, for any reason, we will help you find a consultant from our broader base of over 20,000 recognised consultants.