Up to 174 conditions covered, more than any other insurer
What is serious illness cover?
It gives you a tax-free payout if you're affected by a serious illness, like cancer.
Other companies call it critical illness cover. We call it Serious Illness Cover, because not every serious illness is critical.
So we cover more illnesses - not just cancer, but less severe conditions like kidney disease and losing sight in one eye, too. And it covers the widest number of conditions in the market - up to 174 - including some unique to Vitality.3
Get more than Critical illness cover
We protect you for more and keep you covered longer
Protection for more conditions
Up to 174 conditions, including many only we cover, like pulmonary embolism, rheumatoid arthritis and cardioversion for arrythmia
Claim more than once
Get up to three times your level of cover, so you’re not left uninsured and uninsurable after your first claim
More likely to pay out
Because we also cover less serious conditions – more than 1 in 12 of our claims are second or third claims4
Later life cover
Keep ahead of later life conditions like dementia, Alzheimer’s and frailty, included as standard on qualifying plans
Stay active, earn rewards
Get exclusive savings and rewards on top brands to help you get healthy
It hugely helped knowing I had cover...
Hayley never expected she would need to make a claim on her Serious Illness Cover, let alone twice before the age of 40. However, after being rushed into hospital with a blood clot in her lungs – a condition only covered by Vitality – aged just 36, just two years later she was diagnosed with cancer.
What does your plan include?
We cover more conditions in full than any other insurer.3
Our standard level Serious Illness Cover gives great cover for a wide range of illnesses.
- 114 conditions covered
- Each claim pays out 25% to 100% of your cover amount
- You can claim again, if you get another illness, up to the 100% cover amount
- Pays out earlier for less severe illnesses
- Dementia and FrailCare Cover conversion included as standard
Cover even more conditions by upgrading to our other serious illness plans.
- Cover up to 174 conditions
- Make claims for up to 3 times the cover amount
- 100% payouts for more conditions than any other insurer2
- More likely to payout than any other insurer and covers every condition in the market3
You can only upgrade your cover through your financial adviser.
Cover for all ages and life stages
We can help you stay covered in your later life. And look after your children now
Dementia, Alzheimer’s and frailty, included as standard on qualifying plans
How it works:
- Your Serious Illness Cover term ends
- Any remaining cover will be converted to Dementia and FrailCare Cover,
- Continue to pay your premiums
The good new is, you won’t need to answer any new health questions and can cancel at any time.
As with Serious Illness Cover, how much we pay is based on the severity of your condition.
Find out how we'll support you in later life.
The widest cover for children in the market*
How it works:
- Standalone option - add up to £100,000 of cover to any adult plan.
- Multiple claims available - claim more than once for less severe conditions.
- Covers a wide range of conditions from birth - pays out £5,000 for congenital conditions and children’s funeral contribution.
- Protect all children - includes all children as standard from birth.
- Rewards for the whole family - getup to four cinema tickets, per family, per month**. Plus, discounted activity trackers for kids at no extra cost.
You'll need to call our team if you want child serious illness cover added to your plan.
*More conditions covered than any other provider, Defaqto, 2023
**Qualifying plans, minimum premiums and terms and conditions apply.
What conditions are covered?
On average, critical illness insurance policies only cover 75 conditions (Defaqto, 2023). Our serious illness cover covers 114, including:
- All heart attacks
- All strokes
- More cancers than any other insurer (Defaqto, 2023)
- All neurological diseases
- Breathing and respiratory diseases
- Stomach and intestine diseases
- Kidney diseases
- Connective tissue diseases
- Eyesight and hearing conditions
- Endocrine gland diseases
- Permanent disability.
Keep ahead of later life conditions like dementia, Alzheimer’s and frailty, conversion included as standard on qualifying plans.
- Defaqto Engage, 2023
- Alzheimer's Society, Facts and Media
- Defaqto verified statement, August 2022
- Vitality Claims and Benefits Report 2023
- Defaqto verified Serious Illness Cover comparison tool, 2023