In the UK, we’re living longer than ever before
- By 2030, the average life expectancy is expected to reach 90 (Imperial College London, 2017)
- Someone is diagnosed with dementia every three minutes
- By 2025, there will be one million people suffering with dementia (alzheimers.org, 20211)
- The average cost of care for someone with dementia is £100,000 (Alzheimer's Society, 20211).
How does later life and dementia insurance work?
If you’re diagnosed with dementia, Alzheimer's, Parkinson’s, stroke or frailty, we’ll pay you a lump sum. The payment you’ll receive is based on the severity of your condition. This means you could get more money if your condition gets worse.
What you get with Dementia and FrailCare Cover
Our unique Dementia and FrailCare Cover ensures you stay protected into later life and help to cover rising care costs. Our cover can also help support your independence in later life.
- Any remaining Serious Illness Cover will be automatically converted at the end of the term, just continue to pay premiums
- Up to £100,000 can be taken as Dementia and FrailCare Cover based on the product options selected (subject to changes in cover with Indexation)
- No extra underwriting is needed, and you can cancel at any time
- Payouts are based on the severity of your condition, so you could be entitled to further payouts if your condition worsens
Why choose our later life and dementia insurance?
✓ A brand you can trust – last year, we paid out 99.7% of all life cover claims (Vitality Claims and Benefits Report, 2023)
✓ Discounts and rewards for healthy living – save money on gym fees, activity trackers, sports shoes and more
✓ Access discounted care – we’ve partnered up with SuperCarers to give you 20% off the first £3,000 of ongoing care
Relevant guides and articles
Serious and critical illness cover
Serious and critical illness cover pays out a lump sum if you’re diagnosed with a serious condition. The condition may not be life threatening, but it still impacts your life.
Life insurance premiums
How are life insurance premiums calculated? Here’s everything you need to know about premiums, how they’re calculated and things to consider.
Life insurance and funeral planning
Read our guide to life insurance and funeral cover, here. Learn about the policy options available, costs of a funeral and ways of paying for the ceremony.
Later life and dementia insurance FAQs
Do I need later life insurance?
Dementia care can be up to 40% more expensive than standard social care. The typical cost for one person is £100,000 (Alzheimer's Society, 20211).
If you’re concerned about paying this, later life and dementia insurance could help.
Can you get insurance against dementia?
Is dementia classed as a critical illness?
Does life insurance pay out for dementia?
If you pass away due to dementia, your life insurance policy will pay out. If you’re diagnosed with dementia, your life insurance won’t pay out because it’s not classed as a terminal illness.
This is when critical or serious illness cover would pay out.