How to make a claim
Submitting a claim
Whether you submit a claim online, over the phone or through a Vitality GP, we’ll do our best to give you a decision as soon as possible and keep you updated.
How to make a health insurance claim
Before making a claim:
Check your cover
Log in to Member Zone and visit your health dashboard. Here you will find a summary of your cover and any information you need. To view your full plan details, select 'my documents'.
Get an open referral from a GP
You’ll need an open referral with details of your symptoms or condition. You can get an open referral via the Vitality GP app or your NHS GP, meaning you can choose the quickest and easiest route for you. For physiotherapy and some mental health conditions, we can help you without the need to get a GP referral.
Choose a specialist
When you contact us, we can locate a specialist. Or, if you have selected a hospital list and want to see a specific consultant, you’ll need to provide details of a consultant or therapist who is registered with VitalityHealth. If you have a hospital in mind, check it’s included on your hospital list.
Find your Vitality membership number
You can find this on your plan documents, on the Member Zone or on the Vitality Member app.
You have three ways to make a claim
1. Vitality GP app
- You can book a private video consultation with a Vitality GP within 48 hours, including evenings and Saturdays, instead of visiting your NHS GP. The Vitality GP app is compatible with Apple iOS8 and above or Android 5.0 and above
- If you are referred for treatment, we (or one of our partners) will be in touch to arrange your appointment.
2. Your Care Hub
- Submit your claim online 24 hours a day, seven days a week in your Care Hub
- It only takes a few minutes and we’ll aim to get back to you by the end of the next working day
- For physiotherapy requests through the Care Hub, we can put you in touch with Ascenti the same day. They will then understand if physiotherapy is right for your condition and, support you to arrange the treatment you need.
3. Call us
- Call the Health team on 0345 602 3523. You can see our opening hours here.
How the claims process works
Get your claim approved
All the information you need can be found in your Care Hub. You’ll be able to request new claims, update existing ones and track your documents and benefits all in one place. Sometimes we may need to contact your GP or consultant to progress your claim, but we’ll let you know as soon as possible.
See the consultant
When you go for your appointment, give your consultant your care number. This means they can bill us directly.
If your consultant says you need hospital treatment as an in-patient or day-patient, or extra treatment sessions, you'll need to contact us again. It’s helpful if you have the following details:
- Date of the treatment
- Procedure code – this is called a CCSD code that your consultant can provide
- Expected length of stay/number of extra treatment sessions
- Hospital and consultant’s name
Normally, we’ll settle directly with the healthcare provider. If you’ve got an excess on your plan, you’ll have to pay this yourself and we’ll let you know who it needs to be paid to. If you make a payment above your excess, send proof of payment and the bill and we’ll pay you back.
Post: VitalityHealth Customer Services, Sheffield, S95 1DB
Fax: 0800 015 8700
Making a claim may increase your premium in the next plan year.