What is family life insurance?
Family life insurance is a plan that will take into consideration your dependants and what they would need to cover their expenses if you were gone. If you take out Life Cover, your family would receive a lump sum if you died during the plan term. You also have the option of adding your children to your plan which could help cover costs like medical expenses if they were diagnosed with a serious illness.
How does family life insurance work?
To take out life insurance plan which factors in the needs of your family and dependants, your adviser will talk through your individual circumstances so they can help you understand the best plan for you.
They will ask questions such as the number of dependants you have, their ages and anything you have in place already to protect them, this means if the worst were to happen, your family could maintain their current lifestyle and cover all their outgoings.
Do I need family life insurance?
If your family are relying on your salary, life insurance is likely to be worthwhile for you. It is common for people to be looking for life insurance if they don’t have enough savings to cover their outgoings without their salary.
Important life events can make a difference too, if you are concerned about the cost of having a baby or how much it will cost to send your children to university without your earnings, taking out a life insurance plan can help ease your mind.
Family life insurance benefits
Some of the ways our family life insurance plans offers additional protection for your loved ones.
- Specific cover for children which focuses on education related expenses such as school and university fees, uniform costs, stationary, text books and school trips
- A star award benefit - this will be paid to you if your child excels in an extracurricular activity (such as being selected for a national sports team)
- If you decide to grow your family, you have the option to add more children to your plan without further underwriting*
- Additional protection options for your children including Serious Illness Cover
If you decide to add your children to your plan they can benefit from:
- Discounted Disney themed Garmin activity trackers1
- Disney Store discounts between 10% and 25% depending on your Vitality status2
If you choose to add Serious Illness Cover to your plan we will:
- Auto-include your children at no additional cost*
- Include additional cover such as complications of pregnancy, congenital conditions and a funeral benefit
Why choose us?
Benefit from a family life insurance plan which rewards you for being healthy
A brand you can trust
In 2018 we paid out 99.8% of life insurance claims3
Discounts and rewards
Over £81 million given in benefits and rewards in 20184
Improve your health
Lower incidence of Life Cover claims in actively involved members5
Free no-obligation advice
Our advisers are highly trained and offer free, expert advice
Life CoverPays out a cash lump sum to your loved ones if you die. The amount would be agreed upon by you when setting up your plan so you can ensure your family would have what they needed to maintain their lifestyle.
Serious Illness CoverPays out a cash lump sum if you’re diagnosed with one of the 178 conditions we cover. This can be used to cover expenses while you take the time you need to recover.
In comparison to a typical critical illness plan:
- We cover nearly two times as many conditions6
- You're 116% more likely to get a payout for cancer with us7
- You're up to 3 times more likely to get a payout with us7
Income Protection CoverPays you a monthly income if you can't work due to serious illness or injury.
Our 5-star defaqto rated Income Protection also includes:
- Financial support when you return to work, if you return with a reduced capacity and earn less than before you were off work.
- An additional payment when you return to work to help you manage with any additional costs.
Frequently asked questions
Can I add my parents to my insurance
Could life insurance help me cover the cost of having a baby
Can I change my plan later
Can I take out life insurance while pregnant
Is a spouse a dependent?
Important information1If you have at least one child aged 4 or over on your plan, you'll qualify for a discount on a selected Garmin activity tracker for each child
2Monthly and annual limits will apply on the Disney store discounts
3The percentage of claims accepted for life and terminal illness cover in 2018 was 99.8% and the total amount paid was £56.3 million
4With VitalityLife's Optimisers which are available at an additional monthly cost of £1.75 for Lite or £4.50 for Full. Source: Vitality internal data, May 2019. Rewards, benefits and engagement in 2018 are based on VitalityLife and VitalityHealth members.
5According to Vitality internal data (2018), over the past five years members who engaged in the Vitality Healthy Living Programme had a significantly lower incidence of Life Cover claims across all age groups when compared to those who did not engage.
6Vitality member data (2018)