What is Income Protection Insurance?
Taking out Income Protection Insurance means you'll be paid a monthly, tax-free income if you are signed off by your doctor as being unable to work due to illness or injury.
You would continue to receive monthly payments until you were able to go back to work, these payments can be vital to ensure you keep up with bills, mortgage repayments, rent or childcare costs.
Even if you can't go back to work, we'll still pay you an income for the rest of your plan term so you can rest assured that you are fully protected.
Do I need Income Protection Insurance?
90% of Income Protection claims for Vitality members in 2018 were for members under the age of 50, highlighting the importance of this cover for all ages.
Most people rely on their salary to keep on top of monthly expenses, without this salary you can be left in a difficult situation when having to cover rent, mortgage repayments or bills.
Income Protection Insurance ensures you receive a monthly income for as long as you need to recover so even if you have to be off work for a prolonged period, you can protect your finances.
Income Protection Insurance benefits
• Our Income Protection Insurance has been awarded 5-stars by independent review platform Defaqto
• Start receiving payments as early as 7 days after you stop working
• You will continue to receive a monthly income until you are ready to go back to work
• You'll receive a cash bonus when you are ready to go back to work, helping to cover any additional costs
• Monthly premiums starting from £1.14 a day with rewards and discounts from well-known brands included
Why choose us?
Benefit from award winning Income Protection Insurance which rewards you for being healthy
A brand you can trust
In 2018 we paid out £421,803 in Income Protection claims1
Discounts and rewards
Over £81 million given in Vitality benefits and rewards in 20182
Improve your health
Lower incidence of Life Cover claims in actively involved members3
Free no-obligation advice
Our advisers are highly trained and offer free, expert advice
Life CoverYour family or dependants would receive a one off lump sum if you were to die during the term which could be used to cover mortgage repayments, funeral costs or education fees.
Serious Illness CoverLike Income Protection Cover, Serious Illness Cover also offers protection against serious illness but pays out a lump sum based on the severity of the illness rather than a monthly income.
This is designed to cover you for the costs associated with having a critical illness such as care, medical cover or to help cover payments while you recover.
In comparison to a typical Critical Illness plan:
- We cover over 178 conditions which is more than any other insurer (Defaqto 2018)
- Our world-first Dementia and FrailCare Cover is included at no extra upfront cost
- We pay out based on how severe your condition is meaning that you could receive a payout at an earlier stage of your illness
- 7% of Serious Illness Cover claims paid in 2018 were for conditions unique to Vitality
Frequently asked questions
How much will I receive?
When should I get covered?
Can I get Income Protection if I'm self-employed?
How much does Income Protection cost?
Important information1The percentage of claims accepted for Income Protection Cover in 2018 was 97.8% and the total amount paid was £421,803
2With VitalityLife's Optimisers which are available at an additional monthly cost of £1.75 for Lite or £4.50 for Full. Source: Vitality internal data, May 2019. Rewards, benefits and engagement in 2018 are based on VitalityLife and VitalityHealth members.
3According to Vitality internal data (2018), over the past five years members who engaged in the Vitality Healthy Living Programme had a significantly lower incidence of Life Cover claims across all age groups when compared to those who did not engage.