Income protection insurance
Protect your income if you can't work. And boost your payouts by up to 20%1 when you look after your health.
5 Star Defaqto rated income protection
What is income protection insurance?
Income protection is a type of insurance policy that provides a regular stream of monthly income if you're unable to work due to illness or injury.
This financial safety net allows you to focus on your recovery without the added stress of lost income and mounting bills.
Income protection insurance can:
- pay out if you need to take time off work for an illness or injury
- pay you part of your monthly income
- support your recovery and get you back to work
Benefits of income protection insurance
When you make a claim on your income protection policy, the payout is tax-free. It can help you protect your finances while you recover. The money can cover anything, like:
- mortgage or rent
- childcare costs
Because you won’t pay tax on your monthly payments, it can replace most of your salary, depending on what cover you choose.
How much is income protection insurance?
Your income protection premium depends on few things, like:
- Your age
- Your medical history and your family’s medical history
- Your job
- Your income level
- How much alcohol you drink
- Your choice of deferred or waiting period
- If you’re a smoker (or use other tobacco products)
You could also add on indexation. This allows you to increase your cover in line with inflation. Let’s explain.
What do I get with Vitality income protection?
Our income protection insurance includes:
Up to 20% extra on your payout
Boost your monthly payout for up to six months by looking after your health.1
Healthcare and support
Access a panel of support services to help your recovery when you claim. Includes physio, therapy and cancer support.
Increase cover, waiting periods and payment periods when big life events happen.
Discounts and rewards
Earn great rewards and boost your payout when you stay healthy.
Like most insurers, our income protection insurance won't pay out if you're:
- made redundant or dismissed
- still getting paid sick pay
How to make a claim on income protection
- Boosts are linked to your Vitality status at point of claim
- turn2us.org.uk, 2021