Life insurance for couples
As your relationship progresses, it is natural share more financial responsibilities with your partner. Taking out a life insurance plan can give you peace of mind that these outgoings would be covered if you or your partner became seriously ill or died during the term.
What is joint life insurance?
Joint life insurance includes both partners under one plan and will pay out when the first of the two partners dies (first to die basis), after this the plan would end and the remaining partner would not be insured.
What is single life insurance?
Single life insurance covers each partner separately and would pay out on result of each death individually.
Is single or joint life insurance better?
One benefit of joint life insurance is that it is often cheaper and takes into consideration both partners salaries, monthly outgoings and financial responsibilities to give you the right amount of cover as a couple. Taking out a joint plan instead of a single plan does however mean that it would only pay out once in result of death where as a single plan covers each individual separately.
Which plan is right for you very much depends on your personal circumstances and whether you have any dependants. If you are still unsure of what type of cover would be best for you, you can call one of our advisers free of charge who will talk you through your options and give you unbiased advice.
Joint life insurance benefits
• Both members in the plan can choose from unique benefits such as Dementia and FrailCare Cover and Cancer Relapse Benefit
• Our plans auto-include some cover for both partners while we are still assessing the application at no charge*
• Benefit from the Vitality active rewards programme as a couple - this means for some rewards partners you will need to generate fewer points overall compared to if you and your partner had separate plans
• The option to split your plan in the event of divorce, dissolution of civil partnership*
• If there's a change of circumstances or you decide to have a family, we offer the ability to increase your cover without further underwriting*
*Available on the VitalityLife Plan
Why choose us?
Benefit from award-winning cover which rewards you for being healthy
A brand you can trust
99.8% of Life Cover claims paid in 20181
Discounts and rewards
You can save over £775 a year with our rewards partners2
Improve your health
Lower incidence of Life Cover claims in actively involved members3
Free no-obligation advice
Our advisers are highly trained and offer free, expert advice
Life CoverPays out a cash lump sum to your loved ones if you die. The amount would be agreed upon by you when setting up your plan so you can ensure your partner would have enough to cover your joint outgoings in the result of death.
Serious Illness CoverPays out a cash lump sum if you’re diagnosed with one of the 178 conditions we cover, this can be used to cover joint expenses while you take the time you need to recover.
In comparison to a typical critical illness plan:
- We cover over 178 conditions which is more than any other insurer (Defaqto 2018)
- Our world-first Dementia and FrailCare cover is included at no extra upfront cost
- We pay out based on how sever your condition is meaning that you could receive a payout at an earlier stage of your illness
- 7% of Serious Illness Cover claims in 2018 were for conditions unique to Vitality
Income Protection CoverPays you a monthly income if you get sick or injured and can't work ensuring your partner won't have to cover these payments alone.
Our 5-star Defaqto rated Income Protection also includes:
- Financial support when you return to work, if you return with a reduced capacity and earn less than before you were off work.
- An additional payment when you return to work to help you manage with any additional costs.
Frequently asked questions
What is first to die life insurance?
Is joint life insurance cheaper than single life insurance?
Can I get joint life insurance if I'm not married?
What happens to joint life insurance after divorce?
Important information1The percentage of claims accepted for life and terminal illness cover in 2018 was 99.8% and the total amount paid was £56.3 million
2With VitalityLife's Optimisers which are available at an additional monthly cost of £1.75 for Lite or £4.50 for Full. Source: Vitality internal data, May 2019. Rewards, benefits and engagement in 2018 are based on VitalityLife and VitalityHealth members.
3According to Vitality internal data (2018), over the past five years members who engaged in the Vitality Healthy Living Programme had a significantly lower incidence of Life Cover claims across all age groups when compared to those who did not engage.