Waitrose & Partners and Vitality team up to provide discount on healthy foods
Waitrose & Partners and health and life insurer Vitality are launching an exclusive, long-term partnership with discounts of up to 40% on healthy foods.
Both VitalityHealth and VitalityLife members* will now be able to access cashback of up to 25% - or up to 40% for members with both life and health insurance - on the supermarket’s Good Health food range in all Waitrose shops and on Waitrose.com.
The amount of cashback available will directly correlate with the level of physical activity a member has done the previous month. Members earn points each time they engage in the Vitality Programme, with points available for being physically active, such as walking, running, cycling or swimming by using a linked activity tracking device**.
The Vitality Programme is a scientifically backed behavioural economics programme that uses the power of incentives to encourage people to make healthier lifestyle choices. The programme has been associated with an on average 34% sustained increase in physical activity (4.8 extra days of activity per month)***. The programme forms part of Vitality’s Shared Value approach to business, a virtuous circle whereby everyone benefits from a person being healthier – themselves, the insurer and wider society as a whole.
The Waitrose Partnership is a natural evolution for the programme, supporting people to make positive and healthy nutritional choices.
Waitrose & Partners is the only supermarket Vitality is partnered with, with nearly 2,000 Good Health products included in the scheme. Unlike Vitality’s previous tie-up, the partnership sees Vitality members able to benefit both online and in store.
Martin George, Waitrose & Partners Marketing Director, said: "We’re passionate about helping our customers lead happy, healthy lives, and this arrangement with Vitality is the perfect partnership. Every product carrying our Good Health label provides a clear nutritional benefit, helping our customers get the nutrients that are important as part of a healthy balanced diet. We will be actively exploring new ways we can work with Vitality in the future.”
Neville Koopowitz, CEO at Vitality, says: “Health and wellbeing sit at the very core of our business, and time and time again we have seen how incentives can positively impact people’s lives by supporting them to change their behaviour, get more physically active and make healthier choices. Working with Waitrose & Partners we are delighted to be able to further incentive people to get more active and support people to make heathier food choices.”
“Our strategy of offering richer benefits to those members who hold multiple Vitality products, means we can deliver even more value to those who are physically active, which further deepens our conviction in the social purpose of the Vitality model to positively change society.”
Vitality members will need to have a registered myWaitrose card to participate in the promotion. Further information on the scheme can be found here: https://www.vitality.co.uk/rewards/partners/active-rewards/waitrose-and-partners/
Waitrose & Partners is committed to providing a range of products, services and experiences to help its customers lead healthier lives, including Healthy Eating Specialists in its shops and Waitrose & Partners Health magazine, which provides tips, inspiration and advice from experts.
*Eligible plans as follows:
Up to 25% cashback, depending on activity levels
• Any personal health insurance plan
• Any business health insurance plan excluding Vitality Essentials
• Any corporate health insurance plan or Healthcare Trust with Vitality Plus
• Any life insurance plan with Vitality Plus with a premium of £60 or more.
Up to 40% cashback, depending on activity levels
• Any health insurance plan eligible as above
• Any life insurance plan with Vitality Plus
**How can people earn Vitality points?
Members can earn a maximum of 8 Vitality activity points per day and up to 40 Vitality activity points per week.
Vitality wants its members to lead a healthier life - and rewards them for doing so. All members earn Vitality points each time they engage in our Healthy Living Programme. You can pick up points* by working out at a partner gym, joining a parkrun, walking, running, cycling or swimming by using a linked activity tracking device.
A study led by independent research institute RAND Europe, found that Vitality incentives combined with Apple Watch deliver dramatic and sustained improvements in physical activity levels. It found:
• Participants using Apple Watch saw an average 34% sustained increase in activity – 4.8 extra days of activity per month – across UK, US and South African participants.
• Activity increased across the full spectrum of Vitality participants, regardless of health status, age or gender.
• ‘At-risk’ participants with a high Body Mass Index [BMI], although less likely to take up the benefit, showed greater improvements in activity than other groups, with increases in activity of 200% in the United States, 160% in the United Kingdom, and 109% in South Africa.
• With these sustained increases in activity, Vitality estimates that within a year, participants with Active Rewards with Apple Watch achieved numerous health benefits, including improvements in blood pressure, cholesterol, and cardiorespiratory fitness along with lowered healthcare costs.