Skip to Content

How to make a car insurance claim

We're here to help you, 24/7, 365 days a year

If you've been in an accident, had your car stolen or damaged your windscreen, we're here to help you.

Once you've spoken to us, we'll take care of everything. We'll keep you updated with what's going on - from repair progress updates to payment dates. We aim to be quick and efficient in settling any claims, even in the most difficult of circumstances.

Car accident

If you’ve been in an accident

Please make yourself safe first.

When you're safe, give us a call on 0330 024 0631. You'll need your car insurance plan number - you can find it in your Cover Summary in Member Zone.

Give us as much information as you can and let us know if other vehicles, people or property were involved. We will contact the other insurance companies to manage any claims or payments.

Car stolen

If you’ve had your car stolen

Before you make a claim, please report your car as stolen to the police.

The police will give you a crime reference number, which you'll need before giving us a call.

When you've got your crime reference number, give us a call on 0330 024 0631.

Broken windscreen

If you’ve cracked or broken your windscreen

To make a claim for a cracked or broken windscreen, please use our partner Autoglass. You can start your windscreen claim on the Autoglass website below.

Go to Autoglass

If you'd rather speak to Autoglass, you can call them direct on 0330 024 0633.

Car insurance claim FAQs

Once you've started your claim, we'll use our network of approved repairers to arrange for your car to be fixed somewhere local to you. If you'd prefer not to use our network of approved repairers, please call us on 0345 026 0010 before you get an estimate.

If you choose not to use one of our approved repairers, we won't be able to give you a courtesy car while your car is being repaired.

For more information, please see Your Car Insurance Policy booklet.

Based on your Good Driving status you could reduce your total excess of up to £250, details of your current Good Driving status are available on the Vitality Member app.
First, make sure everyone in the car is unhurt. If anyone is injured, contact the emergency services on 999 for immediate assistance. 

If you’re involved in an accident, even if it's not your fault, get details of the other driver(s) and any passenger(s). Note any injuries they may have, the make, model and registration number(s) of the other vehicle(s) involved and details of any property that's been damaged. 

If possible, draw a quick sketch or take photographs of the direction and final position of each vehicle and the extent of the damage. 

You should also give your details to anyone who has a good reason for needing them, but don't admit any fault. 
Remember, you must tell us about any accidents you're involved in, even if you don't want to make a claim. 

Call our claims helpline on 0330 024 0631 for 24/7 support. 

Take a look at Your Car Insurance Policy document for more information.
No - please call our claims helpline on 0330 024 0631 for 24/7 support.

A fault claim isn't necessarily a claim where you were at fault - it's any claim where your insurance company has paid for any loss, damage or injury to yourself or a third party, when costs can't be recovered or are still being recovered. For example, if your car was stolen and never recovered, it would be classed as a fault claim.

If you have a claim that hasn't been resolved at the start of your policy with us, it'll be classed as a fault claim until you're able to provide proof that the claim has been settled as a non-fault claim.

Take a look at Your Car Insurance Policy document for more information.

A non-fault claim is where your insurance company haven't paid any costs following an accident, or they've been able to fully recover any costs paid for the damage to your car.

For more information please see Your Car Insurance Policy booklet.

Uninsured losses are any of your costs or expenses that aren't covered by your car insurance policy. This includes your excesses, unpaid leave if you take time off work following an accident, or paying for a hire car.

To insure yourself against these losses, you can add Motor Legal Protection Cover to your policy by calling 0345 026 0010.

If your car has been damaged to the point that it's a total loss or write-off, we'll offer you the current market value of the car, taking its age, mileage and condition into consideration.

You may have to pay your excess initially, but as long as the third party accepts liability, you'll be able to recover what you've paid. If you have Motor Legal Protection, they'll try to reclaim this cost and any other uninsured losses for you.

Find full details of your excesses in your Schedule.

Yes, but only if your car is being repaired by one of our approved repairers.

We charge an additional excess for all young and inexperienced drivers and this applies to any claims made against the policy while the vehicle was in the care of the young or inexperienced driver.

  • Driver aged under 21 - £350
  • Driver aged 21-24 years of age - £250
  • Driver aged 25 or over who's not an experienced driver - £150 (someone who has not held a full licence for at least 12 months)